Working wih Lemoon in Visual Studio
Experienced developers often prefer the full power of Visual Studio instead of simpler tools like WebMatrix. This article explains how to setup Lemoon to work with Visual Studio.
Installing the Lemoon Project Template
- Download and install the Lemoon Project Template. The latest version is always available for download on the releases and upgrades page or the Visual Studio Gallery, but the easiest way to install the template is with the Visual Studio Extension Manager. Click "Tools, Extension Manager" in Visual Studio to open the Extension Manager. Search for Lemoon in the Online Gallery, then click the "Download" button to download and install the project template.
- Create a new project in Visual Studio by clicking "File, New Project...". Select the Lemoon Web Application template and click "Ok".
The next step is to configure the database connection string (you will need access to an installation of SQL Server or SQL Server Express).
- Open your SQL Server Management Studio and create a new empty database.
- Open the web.config file and modify the connection string to point to your newly created database. Make sure the database user you specify in the connection string has at least the following permissions: CONNECT, SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE, EXECUTE, CREATE TABLE and CREATE PROCEDURE. This is easiest accomplished by adding the database user to the [db_owner] role.
If you want to use IIS Express or the ASP.NET Development Server, you are now ready to launch Lemoon. Just press (Ctrl+F5) in Visual Studio, then follow the steps in the setup wizard to configure your Lemoon installation. We recommend that you check the box "Create site content" since this will create a starter site for you.
If you want to use the full version of Internet Information Services (IIS), do the following:
- Create a new IIS site
- Point the website to your project folder
- Make sure the website is running in an ASP.NET 4.0 / 4.5, Integrated mode AppPool
- Make sure that the Identity running the website have Read, Write and Modify permissions
- Open the properties page of your project. Select the "Web" tab and enter the url to your IIS site in the "Project Url" field.
- Press (Ctrl+F5) in Visual Studio to compile and launch your project.
When you start your Lemoon site after installation you will be presented with a Setup screen where you can enter basic information about your site. Specifically: the name and language of the site, the name of the administrator user and the administrator's password. We recommend that you check the box "Create site content" since this will create a starter site for you.